JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Monday, October 13, 2008

Sticky pears with gorgonzola


















Here's a delicious autumn recipe for those hard pears you find everywhere at this time of year - and a way to make a little piece of cheese stretch further. No photograph, I'm afraid, because we ate it so fast - I made it in seconds as we were all sitting down for soup. It's very quick, and it brings the age-old combination of pears and blue cheese to new heights.

These flowers from the garden were on the table at the weekend - there won't be many more, as the nights are getting colder and colder.

Sticky pears with gorgonzola
for six

three pears
honey*
Marsala**
walnut halves
gorgonzola

Cut three pears into eight slices each. Fry them gently in olive oil until they start to brown. Meanwhile, mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 3 of Marsala. Coat the pears with this mixture in the frying pan, then lift them out with a slotted spoon and arrange on a large flat dish. Throw a handful of walnut halves into the pan and stir fry for a minute or so, until they are completely coated in the sticky sauce. Put them on the dish, then add the cheese. Drizzle everything with the remaining sauce.


* I used the last of some chestnut honey for this, and the taste shone through, so I would say it was worth using good honey here, if you have some

**I think this would work with other flavours ... next time, I'll use the Armagnac I use for Agen prune tarts

As you may have guessed, this is Nigella (Express)

3 comments:

Celia Hart said...

I remember seeing Nigella cook this on a recent repeat of Nigella Express - no wonder it was woofed down before you could take a photo!

I'm now dreaming of sharp rich blue cheese and sticky sweet coated walnuts... mmmmmmmmmm!

Celia

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

No Marsala. No Armagnac. I'll have to look through the cabinet for something else because I have the pears and blue cheese begging!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I am going to try this dish. Sounds Yummy.
Sam