JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Another romantic present

I've discovered in the last couple of weeks that I'm not very good with an axe. Luckily, all the males round here LOVE making logs. But less luckily, they don't much like making kindling, and you can't make a fire without plenty of small sticks. And I have discovered that I'm afraid for my fingers when I'm splitting sticks lengthways.

Last night, when Lucius got home, I was in the midst of lighting the fire without enough kindling. I explained, somewhat defensively, that I was afraid for my fingers. Could you teach me to split kindling? Tomorrow, when it's light?

A little later, he came in from the workshop, and this is what he gave me:


















Now how is THAT for a wonderful present?

2 comments:

Laura Gilmour said...

That is just THE sweetest thing!

CP x

Anonymous said...

What a clever and thoughtful man.