JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day

Friday, October 17, 2008

Beans on toast

Instant beans on toast ...

  • Frying pan
  • Olive oil
  • Heat
  • A few bacon bits
  • Stir
  • Can of canneloni beans
  • Heat
  • Fresh tomato - don't stint, this is the sauce
  • Chopped parsley
  • Toast
Mmmm .... so much better than Heinz.


MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'm bad: a little clove of garlic and some baby spinach is good too. Fabulous instant dinner or lunch!!

Magic Cochin said...

Yummy! I've just had pinto beans and salad stuffed in a pitta bread for my lunch!

This morning I cooked a huge cauldron of pinto beans after soaking them overnight. The idea is to freeze them in one-meal portions and use them instead of buying tins from the supermarket.


Joanna said...

Tanna - fabulous, I'll put both those in next time

Celia, what a good idea ... only there's often no space in my tiny freezer, and I tend to forget things once they're in there ... do you unfreeze them before using? Or can you just bung them in frozen??


Magic Cochin said...

Hi joanna

This is a new venture - it's because I'm buying more stuff from the Daily Bread Co-op in Cambridge and growing my own beans for drying too, and as we're using more beans it seems a better way than buying tinned ones.

I'll take a bag out of the freezer at breakfast time for adding to a casserole or whatever in the evening. I hadn't thought of adding them frozen - worth a try maybe.


Antonia said...

I have to confess that I resorted to the Heinz variety on toast for lunch today. Is one of my little guilty pleasures. I really should try a 'proper' version like this - they look delicious.

joannacary AT ukonline DOT co DOT uk said...

I'm definitely going to give this a go, Celia ...

Antonia, I LOVE that so many of us have been eating beans for lunch ... something along these lines makes a quick and easy change from the usual, delicious with a little fresh veg in it


David Hall said...

Hi Joanna

I've done my own beans on toast before - not quite the same as the commercial stuff no matter how hard I try!


labelga said...

Mm, Joanna, I love this, and so right you are about chastising the can of pumpkin! (I'm not against cans for legume or tomato.) And hooray for easy kitchen work.