JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Hokey pokey / cinder toffee / honeycomb

It's not exactly healthy, but it's certainly fat-free ... a low cholesterol treat. It's fun and easy to make, and you don't have to be exact with the quantities, because all the recipes you'll ever find for it vary a little.

Hokey pokey / cinder toffee / honeycomb

100-200g caster sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda

Grease a tin. Or use a piece of greased parchment/foil (that's what Nigella suggests). Stir the sugar and syrup together in a large saucepan, then bring to the boil. When it's a nice golden colour (a couple of minutes), take it off the heat and stir in the bicarb. It will whoosh up. Turn this golden cloud onto your greased surface and wait until it's set. Bash it up.

It's hard to find treats for people on low-cholesterol diets - another one worth trying is my pretend fudge - which many people prefer to the real deal!

PS: You could coat your hokey pokey / cinder toffee / honeycomb in chocolate for a do-it-yourself Crunchie (how ON EARTH do they get it so straight?).

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it much nicer than (or different from) a Crunchie (and hence worth the effort)?

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Always liked hokey pokey the dance. Now I find it's toffee too!

Joanna said...

Definitely worth it - it's fun to do (just like those make-a-volcano kits you buy in toyshops, only without the red food colouring!) - and it tastes delicious. If you want it like a Crunchie, then I suppose it would depend on the chocolate you use ...

Caty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caty said...

I watched Nigella do it last night and it looked so cool when it fizzed up. I'll definitly be giving it a go at the weekend, thanks for the recipe.

Maggie said...

I too watched Nigella make this last night. You have been very quick off the starters block! I think I'll have to make this.

Ilva said...

Great! I'm going to make this today for my sugar craving son! Thanks Joanna!

Vida said...

Joanna, come to think of it I have never made crunchie for my girls and I even have some chocolate I can cover it with, thank you for the inspiration. Vida x

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

oooo. I've never done this, and it's something I long to try. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I've never heard of this, but it sound so fun!

Laura said...

Tried this a couple of times now but mines seems to go flat and quite chewy. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any advice?

Anonymous said...

Maybe not fat free, but what about all the carbs!?!?
:-)

Joanna said...

Well of course, you're quite right, but everyone needs a treat now and again, and perhaps this is better than, say, fudge, with all that butter ?

Joanna