JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Chilli and pepper chutney

I made this quickly a couple of weeks ago when I was using up the veg in the bottom of the fridge before the arrival of the new organic box. I gave a bottle to Dick, who loves home-made chutney, and kept the other one. I've only just opened it, so it's only now that I know it's good enough to blog. It is, and there's just time to make some before there are no more peppers for the year.

This recipe came from Jamie Oliver in the Telegraph Magazine a few weeks ago; I've got a feeling it's an extract from his new book. I've simplified the method, to make it quicker.

Chilli and pepper chutney


red chillis (I used 4, Jamie specifies 8-10)
8 red peppers
a splash of olive oil
2 chopped onions (mine weren't red, Jamie's were)
a sprig of chopped rosemary leaves
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cinnamon (couldn't find a stick)
salt and pepper
100g brown sugar
150 ml balsamic vinegar

Start by sweating the onion in oil with the seasonings. Do it slowly, it should take at least 20 minutes until they are soft and golden.

If you want to skin your chilli and peppers, do so; I didn't bother. I took out the seeds and cores, then blitzed them all together in the Magimix (I left a few small lumps, but I was concerned not to leave great big bits of chilli, so it ended up quite finely chopped).

Add the pepper and chilli mush, together with the sugar and vinegar. Cook slowly until there's no more liquid. You should keep an eye on it, but you don't need to hang over it all the time; a little stir every so often will stop it sticking. I don't remember how long it took to cook, but allow an hour. It will be dark and thick when it is ready. Pour into sterilised jars (either run them through the dishwasher, or put them in a warm oven for half an hour or so).

You can use this straight away, but all chutneys improve with a bit of keeping.

10 comments:

Ilva said...

This sounds like something I would like so I bookmark the recipe! Thanks!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

And it would make great little gifts! So good.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I have save this recipe to try! I haven't made chutney before, but have been planning to have a bash. Do you let your jars air dry after they come out of the dishwasher? Are jars for jam making ok or are you better with the glass jars with levered lids? Many, many questions! I think I need you to do another post on chutney making tips and techniques! Very step by step!

Joanna said...

Thanks Ilva.

Yes, it's a good pressie, Tanna

Holler: I used jam jars and the ones with levered lids. You just need to make sure that the seal on the lid is good, and then it's fine (although I'd use up the jam jars first, because the vinegar is acidic ... but this is so delicious you won't be keeping it long!)

If I put them through the dishwasher, I let them air dry on top of the stove. Mostly I put them into the oven to warm. But either way works.

I think making chutney is probably easier than making jam, because you can SEE when it's done - there is no more liquid, it's all gloopy.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more queries

Joanna

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Joanna - chutney making is easier than jam. This chutney sounds great - I will try it soon. sara from farmingfriends

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Rosemary, cinnamon,and brown sugar? Mmmm...I'd like to try this!

Cottage Smallholder said...

That sounds delicious, Joanna. I never have time to read the paper so miss out on the food columns generally.

Joanna said...

Well, I waste too much time on the papers, but I find less and less I want to read in them, so more and more goes unread ... it's only a matter of time before I cancel them altogether, but it would be hard for me, newspapers are hardwired into me, as I used to be a news reporter in another life. I should probably take a leaf out of your book, and just tell myself I'm too busy ;)

Vida said...

Hi Joanna, I wonder if it is the Jamie at Home book I just bought. Our local bookstore had it for half price even though it is brand new, I am VERY happy. I will look it up, thanks. Vida x x x

Mansi said...

so close to Indian food...sounds great Joanna:) we make diff chutneys all the time!!

I'm hosting AFAM-Peach event over at my blog, and would be glad to have you participate:)