JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Sunday, November 16, 2008

Six-seed rolls


















I used Allinson's Seed and Grain Bread Flour for these fabulous rolls. The flour itself is white, but 20% of the mixture is made up of wheat and barley flakes, kibbled rye grains, sunflower seeds, linseed and millet. The people in this house who moan about wholemeal bread like this, and those of us that would always rather avoid white flour have something to get our teeth into.

I made the dough in the breadmaker, on the pizza setting, then rolled it into balls which I put into a cake tin. Easy - but not much more difficult to mix by hand (instructions at the bottom). This method gives the dough a great deal of oven spring, which means the rolls are light and airy ... invaluable for someone like me, who is apt to make rolls as heavy cannonballs. (Compare the two photographs, and you'll see what I mean - I put the dough straight into the oven after taking the picture.)

Seeded rolls
for 6

1/2 tsp dried yeast
300g flour
170ml water
a pinch of salt
a dribble of olive oil

Put the ingredients into the breadmaker* (these are given in the right order for a Panasonic, but some machines would like you to use reverse order). Use the pizza setting (which takes 45 minutes).


















When the dough is ready, roll it into a sausage and cut into six pieces. Roll these into a ball, tucking the untidy bits underneath. Place them in an 8-inch cake tin and leave to rise in a warm place. Bake in a hot oven. I left these to rise near the woodburner for nearly an hour, then baked them for 15 minutes in a hot oven. They would have been better with 3-4 minutes more.


* If you don't have a breadmaker: mix the ingredients together and knead until you have a dough (you don't have to use a bowl for this, you can make a circle of flour to surround the wet ingredients). When it is smooth, put in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a plate; leave in a warm place until doubled in size.













This post is an entry for this month's Heart of the Matter, the subject is grains ... we'd like to hear your heart-healthy ideas for cooking with wholegrains - not only breads. All the details can be found on the Heart of the Matter website. I'm hosting this month - the deadline is Thursday 27 November, round-up over the weekend.


Related posts

Bread knots - another simple way to make beautiful and delicious rolls, using this dough, or your default dough

Yeast starter for bread - and the bread
make your own sourdough starter

No-knead bread the famous NY Times recipe
Speeded-up no-knead bread and a different take on it

Yoghurt bread fabulous, easy, TRY IT
Quick oat loaf
Spelt bread - it's getting easier to buy this highly-flavoured flour

Fresh corn bread - now is the perfect autumnal moment for this
Late summer hearth bread - another perfect autumn bread, this one with grapes

Anti-oxidant tea bread - I made this for my husband for a pre-surgery boost - delicious, too!

Yeast conversion - fresh/dried/quick


Things to do with stale or leftover bread

Panzanilla
Herb stuffing for roast chicken
Grilled trout with rosemary stuffing
Baked scallops
Anchovy toasts

Links to the best blogging bakers I know

Tanna at My Kitchen in Half Cups
A Year in Bread
Susan at Farmgirl Fare

this list is not exhaustive, there are dozens of wonderful blogging bakers

7 comments:

Nan said...

These look and sound so good. The flour is not available here, but often I put in different grains and as I noted once on the blog, I even sometimes cook up a little cereal and add it. Sometimes I grind up flax seeds and add the meal. Sometimes I'll throw in a little bulghar when the water is hot in the bowl. Sometimes oats. Today I'm making crescent rolls which I haven't for a long time. I found a new recipe and I'm hopeful they will be good.

Joanna said...

Cooking up some cereal sounds like a really good idea, one I haven't tried. I love oats in bread. This Allinson flour would be very easy to make ... just add loads of grains and seeds, mmmm

Joanna

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

That's a nice recipe. We don't have that brand of flour here in NZ, but I could make up my own.
The breadmaker is great for making dough isn't it. I use mine all the time for pizza dough, bread like foccacia, and bread rolls too, although the rolls do sometimes come out pretty solid!

Anonymous said...

Looks nice.. I like making pull apart breads like this for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Looks so yumyy, Joanna. Thanks for your post on the bumblebees... I'm receptive to that, and still pre-garden design.

Joanna said...

Thanks for kind words ... and good luck with the garden design: I'll look forward to reading a post - perhaps with a picture complete with bumblebee ;)

Joanna

Unknown said...

i tried this recipe for my thanksgiving rolls and they turned out wonderful! i just used plain flour, added sunflower seeds and linseed and hand kneaded. they looked beautiful coming out of the oven and i love that everyone gets to pull off their own cute little roll!

thank you!