JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Monday, July 02, 2007

Anchovy toasts
















Here's something delicious to go with soup, or to stretch a meal when someone turns up unexpectedly ... you can make anchovy toasts from store-cupboard ingredients - well, I can, anyway, as I always have bread in the house, as well as tinned anchovies and anchovy paste (which I often use instead of stock cubes).















Spread anchovy paste onto a piece of thinly-sliced bread. Add three anchovies, arranged evenly in lines. Cover with another thin slice of bread. Drizzle with olive oil, then toast on each side. When it's done, cut into three fingers ... you can either give each piece one whole anchovy, or cut the opposite way, to give each slice three little bits of anchovy.

Good, wholesome, heart-healthy food. If you find the taste of anchovy strong, you could thin the paste down with a little Greek 0% yoghurt, or some soft cheese. Or indeed use soft cheese instead of anchovy paste. It's good with soup, especially something earthy and sweet, such as a beetroot soup. And you can make it ahead - prepare the sandwich in the morning, then drizzle toast it when you're ready.

4 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Joanna, that is a sweet little idea. I see many posibilities with this! Great one.

Katie Zeller said...

Ooooh, I like these! I have anchovies, anchovy paste...and anchovy stuffed olives.
Maybe with our salad tonight....

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you have discovered the delights of rapeseed oil which is said to be better for heart health than olive oil? I love the idea of your anchovy toasts and enjoy reading your writing.

Joanna said...

Tanna, I'm sure you'll come up with a good variation - I look forward to reading about it, always keen on new ideas

Katie, I love those anchovy stuffed olives. Also the ones with salmon ...

Hi toffeeapple, thanks for the kind words. I have used rapeseed oil in the past, and I know it's good for heart health. I think what puts me off is all those very bright yellow fields (includingone right next to us this year, horribly smelly as they don't harvest it until the flowers have gone right over!) ... but I think I'll have to be a bit more grown up and take your advice!

Joanna