JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tree houses























I took this photograph of our tree house last week, just before it disappears behind its cloak of oak leaves for the summer. As I took it, I wondered if I could find an excuse to publish it on my blog, and thought not. Sadly, I now have.

Several years ago Lucius, a talented amateur carpenter, started building this treehouse on a whim. It was this time of year, and it took him most of his free time for the whole of that summer. Our near neighbours watched the progress with interest and enthusiasm. So did passersby.

In the autumn, we had a visit from a planning official, who said that there had been a complaint, and that we needed planning permission for "the building". It was a while before we were able to find out who had complained: a man who lives on the opposite side of the valley, who needed a pair of binoculars to see it - and then only in the winter, when the leaves of the oak tree had fallen. It seemed almost incredible that anyone could complain about such a beautiful structure, built on seven levels, with an octagonal lantern at the top. It was deeply upsetting.

Happily, the planners unreservedly took our side, and we did not have to demolish the treehouse. Now, however, I find that the builders of another fine treehouse are having similar troubles (thanks Allotment Lady) ... and if you are a British citizen you can help out by signing the petition lodged at Downing Street. I'll keep you posted on how it goes ... even though the only connection with food is that our treehouse has been the venue for a number of fine picnics, particularly in poor weather.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Joanna it is my dream to have a place and a treehouse like this one!
People are so nutty. Our neighbor complained about the toads that sang around our pond. What is the thing!?!

Anonymous said...

Lovely tree, lovely tree-house and your very own bluebells too!

I'm glad the planning officer was of the common sense variety.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

People object to a treehouse? Really, don't people have anything better to do? So glad your planning officer was blessed with common sense.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

The tree house looks fabulous! What a sad, sad person that must have been to complain! It beggers belief!

Dan said...

I love your tree house! I had a tree fort when I was a kid but nothing like the one you have built. The truth is that I have often dreamed of having a tree house and the one in your picture looks a lot like my dream tree house. With a tree house out of the question I am making due with my tree blog. By the way it is a great tree too!