JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Friday, May 30, 2008

Introducing One Local Summer













Here's an exciting project starting this week ... this is the second year of One Local Summer: I was too late to join in last time, but this year I am (drumroll) International Co-Ordinator. This is the brainchild of Nicole at Farm to Philly ... last year I saw lots of One Local Summer posts; this year they'll be everywhere, as there are 133 participants.

The challenge will begin on Sunday, June 1 and run until Sunday, August 31. Your challenge: prepare one meal each week using only locally-grown ingredients - the exceptions are oil, salt and pepper, and spices.


Now it's fair to say that there aren't very many "international" participants - four from Canada and three from Europe (all the rest are from the US), but I'll be linking up with them each week for the next three months. So if anyone wants to join us informally, feel free to send me your permalink, and I'll include you in my round-up. Sunday night is the deadline, and you can find buttons on Farm to Philly.

I'm really looking forward to three months of searching out great local food, perhaps meeting up with the other European bloggers involved in this project, and generally eating some great local food, locally sourced. I'll also try to find some local recipes ... One Local Summer: starting here, next week and every week until the end of August. By which time, let's hope the habit's ingrained.

6 comments:

Esther Montgomery said...

Our 'Hungry Season' is being extended this year because our local (organic) veg. man is having a baby - so we won't be back to 'local' for a few weeks yet.

But once our own crops are ready - and his (which arrive at our house in boxes) we'll be 'In'.

Esther Montgomery
ESTHER IN THE GARDEN

Anonymous said...

What an exciting challenge! I look forward to reading all about it and I just know that you'll rise to it.

Anonymous said...

Hello Joanna, i don't want to join too much, but count me in for this (and if I must, report failures of finding local produce).

PS Don't say you'll never visit Chez Panisse! Just put it on your wish list, wish it, and it will happen.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ostwestwind said...

I would have joined in, if I had it known earlier...

The asparagus season in Northern Germany has just begun....

Riana Lagarde said...

yippppe! emails coming your way soon!!