JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Saturday, May 31, 2008

Braised lettuce

We had a huge glut of lettuce, after the long winter weeks of yearning for some soft green salad leaves. It's been salads all the way this week, and by last night I was longing for vegetables that were cooked. This was simple, quick, and much more delicious than you might suppose.

Braised lettuce

Lettuce
Chicken stock (or white wine diluted with a little water)
Capers

You need small tight lettuce for this, Little Gem is ideal. Allow one per person. Trim off the tough outer leaves. It's best to serve this in the cooking pan, because the heads are quite fragile when ready.

Brown the whole lettuce on one side in a little oil. Turn carefully. Add a little chicken stock to the pan, a few capers, and cover. Turn the heat right down and braise for 5-10 minutes, depending on size.


















This picture shows the leftovers, because Alfred declined to eat any ... now I find it's quite nice cold, too

Related posts

Braised fennel
Braised carrots and capers

Cooked lettuce on other blogs


Peas with mint and lettuce at Serious Eats
Petit pois à la Versailles

4 comments:

KJ said...

I have seen cooked lettuce recipes before. But I have never been game to try it. It just seems wrong somehow. So I'm pleased to see your vote of confidence. maybe I will try it.... one day.

Joanna said...

I know exactly what you mean, which is why it took a glut for me to give it a go. Although I have eaten the peas and lettuce dishes they do so well in France (see links), but then the peas are the main ingredient. I'll definitely do it again, I really liked it. Perhaps it's something for a cold summer's day, when you just can't face salad, but that's all there is in the house ... maybe you don't get so many of those in Australia ;)

Abitofafoodie said...

Similarly, I've always been intrigued by cooked lettuce recipes but never actually tried one. I think I shall bite the bullet and give it a try!

Riana Lagarde said...

sounds delish! i make lettuce soup and i braise lettuce to for "hot salads" with onions, yum. maybe thats what i'll make tonight, you always give me great ideas!