JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Thursday, May 07, 2009

Pains au chocolat



















Very easy, very delicious, very fattening, very more-ish.

I used dark orange chocolate, and could have improved on this theme with some orange zest in the dough. Lettice said she'd like milk chocolate next time. They took little more than an hour and a half, and only five minutes of my time.

for 6 pains au chocolat

Put into the bread machine:

1/2 tsp yeast
250g strong white flour
2 tbsp vanilla sugar
2 tbsp butter
a pinch of salt
2 eggs beaten with 3 tbsp milk

Mix on the dough setting.

Knead the dough into a cylinder shape, then cut into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rectangle, put a square of chocolate in the centre, then fold the two sides over (as if you were folding a sheet of A4 into a long envelope). Place in a mini loaf pan (mine are 11cmx6 and 3cm deep). Leave in a warm place to rest and rise*, then bake for 10-12 minutes in a hot oven (220C).

Eat while warm. Mmmmm

* Mine had hardly risen at all when I put them in the oven after about 20 minutes' rest ... they were still light and airy, oven spring gave them their lovely final loaf shape


































Other enriched doughs


Hot uncrossed buns
Fabulous cinnamon rolls
Anti-oxidant teabread
Homemade marzipan - an alternative filling for brioche dough

11 comments:

Ed Bruske said...

Oh, my daughter would love that, Joanna. One of her favorite things in the world is a chocolate-stuffed croissant.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look super tasty! I think I will give them a try for my Share Our Strength bake sale this weekend - and save a few for myself to eat, too :)

Nan said...

Oh, my these look great! I've always wanted a recipe, and will make these. Thank you, Joanna.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Fantastic, thanks Joanna. I just need those mini loaf tins and then I'll give it a go.
A lot less hassle than making croissants, even if they are delicious!

Fred said...

Hi Joanna...her via the Black Box.

Wow! The food looks great. I'll be back with my wife - she's going to love this.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, Joanna, like your baking tins, I see you've tied the baking tin knot.

Sam said...

I've never thought to make my own pain au chocolat, these look great!

David Hall said...

Home made pain au chocolate you lucky things! Delicious.

Cheers
David

Nic said...

I shouldn't be looking at this, making me soooo hungry!!

Katie said...

These look wonderful

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

What wonderful pans for this Joanna! Fabulous how bread takes so long but is so fast to make with our hands on time.