JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Saturday, March 08, 2008

Make your steak go further























I've blogged this way of cooking steak before ... it's delicious, it's easy, it's good for a party. And it's also a really good way to make a bit of expensive meat go further - one steak cut into ribbons will do for two or even three people. It's got those lemony-thyme flavours I love so much.

There were just the two of us for supper last night, the last time for a while, as full term at Oxford ended yesterday so Horatio will be home later today, and Easter is upon us. So this was a little treat, with cauliflower gratin.

Related links

Fillet of beef
Steak with lemon and thyme
Cauliflower gratin

12 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Term bread that's reason for celebrations!

Anonymous said...

Mm, excellent, Joanna, am certainly going to try that and with lemon and thyme.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Zeller said...

Mon mari always slices the steaks that way... It makes even the less expensive, tougher cuts more tender!

Cottage Smallholder said...

I might have to elbow Danny away and try this next week when we have steak. Too delicious to pass by!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I'm going to be trying this. I don't cook much meat, so have never really got to grips with timings for steak. This is my answer - thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have printed this one off Joanna because we all love steak in our house - but it can be expensive and this way makes sense

Joanna said...

Thanks for so many nice comments ... I find this recipe really useful because I'm not very confident about cooking steak, and this one works every time, as well as being economical

Joanna

Anonymous said...

One of my Nigella Express favourites too ... but the first time I did it I didn't trust the paltry amount of steak and we had rather a lot leftover . It is just as delicious cold for breakfast!

Joanna said...

Gillie, you're a girl after my own heart ;)

Joanna

David Hall said...

Cauli gratin a steak - YUM!!!

Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

Hey guess what we (well they, I won't be there) are having for supper tonight... There was steak in the freezer, not a lot but enough, there was not going to be a lot of time to cook .. bingo!