JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Food blogging: mad, or what?

The conversation turned to food. Alfred (15) said you're mad, mum, when it comes to food. Indignant noises from cooker (I'm not the only one, loads of people are trying to do their best to feed their families as well as they can, blah blah blah). Yes you are, who else would photograph their salad instead of getting on and eating it? Wherever you are, you probably heard his roars of laughter when I replied: I haven't taken a food photograph for days.

He's in the kitchen now, creating a bacon sandwich. He's sent me off to look up a better tomato sauce for his pizza than the one he made yesterday for his lunch (A Year in Bread). He's planning to make a Chinese dinner for us all later this week, even though he's never done that before, just because he likes the taste of it. A chip off the old block? Not, perhaps, as sane as he thinks he is?

No photograph. I wouldn't want you all to think I was mad.


Related links

Pizza for lunch
Pissaladiere
White pizzas with fennel seeds
Processed foods: some nutritional info

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Joanna you are funny! Mad, is what our kids are when they set out to be "different".
And you're lovely.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might need to start hiding your camera soon!

I think it's fantastic that he does so much cooking at home - it would be so easy not to, given that you are so keen and in the kitchen a lot yourself. My Mum is a great cook but I just didn't learn at all until I went to University and had to fend for myself all of a sudden.

David Hall said...

Joanna, if it is any consolation, i get the same comments when feeding family or friends and I'm crouched over their meals with a huge camera. Must look very bizarre. But remember - we do it cos we love it!

Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

LOL. My children are quite used to the camera coming out at the oddest times. Eloise stood patiently barefoot on the sand at Dornoch the other day in pretty icey temperatures so I could get the light right to photograph her feet. Today we are baking ... if anyone touches the banana bread before I get the perfect photo they are history!!

Cottage Smallholder said...

Ah Ha so you do this too! My mum just goggled when I first whipped out my camera to photograph the Christmas goose. Now the photography is part of the ritual.

New friends goggle a bit too especially when they discover that it's the food that we are interested in rather than their smiling faces!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I know, I know. My camera has now become a part of my kitchen and my daughter complains that I cook for my blog and not for us! My husband has only one request, that we get to eat whatever I cook before I post about it.
In fact, it has become standard practise for both of them to enquire if I've taken a picture whenever they see something unusual that I've cooked!!