JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Thursday, November 01, 2007

Keeping it real: What the World Eats
















This morning we're all worrying about the new report issued yesterday by the World Cancer Research Fund ... but we're the lucky ones, lucky enough to worry about what we're eating, rather than whether we're eating at all.

Peter Menzel's book, Hungry Planet, shows what the world eats: 30 families on 24 continents photographed with a week's worth of food. It's sobering: ... how little some people have to survive on ... how much the developed world depends on industrially processed food ... how much more appetising the Far / Middle Eastern and Sicilian diet looked than all the others ... & to see the global reach of the Coca Cola Corporation.
















I'm grateful to my new friend Joanna - yes, another one - at My Vegetable Blog for providing me with the link to Peter Menzel's work.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanna, yes, those are stark pictures that's I'd seen with a German household for the last picture. Vivero parvo is better for everybody.
(ps: chickpeas roughly chopped out of a tin and rinsed, eaten like a bean dip, with some lemon juice, olive oil, a little bit of parsley or coriander, sesame paste, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin)

Katie Zeller said...

I was looking at those photos that last time I was in the U.S. Very sobering.... and shocking! I'll be kind and refrain from comment on the last one....

Vida said...

Wow... shocking to say the least! Vida x

Vida said...

I have just looked at 16 of the the photos and am even more shocked not only by what and how much people eat but at the gross amount of soft drinks consumed... Vida x

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Wow. Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of these photos. Unbelievable. Well actually, sadly believable.

Rob said...

Thanks for blogging on this. I saw the photograpsh earlier in the week (they were up as two sets of 16 pics each if I recall correctly).

It was very sobering to see the disparity between what we as Westerners eat (both in terms of quantity and quality) and what the rest of the world consumes in a week.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

We bought that book - very sobering!

steve said...

Thanks for posting this. It's an inspiration to take more responsibility for our own individual levels of consumption. Could I put a link to this page in my blog www.onyabike.org ?

Thanks also for the bread in a frying pan post I'll try that out on my upcoming bicycle ride from Melbourne to Broome