JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Where did all that oatmeal go?
















The everyday alchemy of baking ... you start with huge flakes of rolled oats ...























... and end up, with no real effort on your part, with a delicious close-textured loaf, not a sign of the porridge ...


















... and delicious toasted!


















Thank you Tanna ... thank you so much



PS Have a look at the Old Foodie's post about how we all fell for horrible mass-produced plastic bread ... how did we do it to ourselves? Why are we still doing it? Is it so very hard to bake a loaf?

5 comments:

Freya said...

Delicious! I saw this recipe over a Tanna's site too and wanted to replicate it - now I'm convinced after seeing yours!

Joanna said...

Mm, it really is good, particularly if you don't use spelt flour - it was good, but not as good as with the white/wholemeal mix, I think because you really couldn't taste the oats

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I am so delighted you enjoyed it. It is sort of silly how easy it really is!

Culinary Cowgirl said...

Gorgeous bread! Makes me want to run into the kitchen right now and bake some.

Joanna said...

Tanna's just posted a fascinating story about when she sailed across the Atlantic, and baked this bread every other day for 30 days... here's what she says:


The recipe makes two good sized loaves so I always divided the dough in half when it was time to shape it. I always made one loaf plain the other half of the dough either became cinnamon rolls or cinnamon bread. Rolls or bread, it simply required changing the shaping process. When I shaped the cinnamon rolls or bread, I smeared the dough with butter, sprinkled cinnamon brown sugar over the butter and dried blueberries and rolled it up, let rise and baked. Not bad for a boat bakery.


Sorry, I can't make a link back to it, but you'll find one in my original post ..