JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Saturday, May 26, 2007

A seasonal dinner


















Half term started yesterday, so Lettice and I went to the supermarket to buy something good for dinner. Alfred was out, so it was easy to choose fish and chips (Alfred is not too keen on fish, although he's very fond of chips). Lettice wanted monkfish, but there wasn't any, and the only other fish on the counter that didn't look tired was sea trout. That reminded me that Julia at A Slice of Cherry Pie is running a seasonal food event called In the Bag, this month using asparagus, sea trout, and spring onions. Well, we don't need much excuse to eat English asparagus in this house, and there were a few really big spring onions in this week's Riverford veg box.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty hazy about the seasonality of fish and meat. Veg, I can manage, if it's European. But fish? It's become a year-round commodity in our supermarkets, like avocados. And as I have no hope of growing an avo, I have no idea when they ripen around the world - although I have noticed that there are times of the year when it's impossible to buy a decent one, which, I suppose, means that they are out of season. Can anyone from outside Europe give me some information on this?

Simple seasonal supper


I boiled the asparagus, and we dipped it into oil - much nicer than melted butter, also less trouble for the cook. I bought some hazelnut oil at the Henley Food Fair, delicious but very strong, so we diluted it 50/50 with olive oil, leaving a hint of hazel.

I always cooked fillet of oily fish in the same way - smother it in grated lemon zest and coarsely ground pepper, drizzle it with oil, and cook it in a hot oven until it's just done, then leave it to rest for a few minutes before serving. Chips - well, I think it's hard to beat McCains oven chips with less than 5% sunflower oil. It's almost the only processed food I buy these days: partly idleness, partly the feeling that the cook deserves a few breaks here and there, and partly the certainty that I couldn't make them palatable without using a great deal more oil. And a green salad. Oh, and I forgot to put in the spring onions.

Then raspberries. From Sussex. I know - the whole English countryside is being covered in plastic. But they don't need heat, they're not flown in, nor are they trucked in from Spain. Pushing the limits of seasonality, but better than many other alternatives. Eaten, one at a time, from a communal bowl, so much flavour that there was no need for anything on them.

As I said, it hardly merits a post. And yet this simple supper was about as delicious as it gets.

8 comments:

Karin W. said...

The problem with avocados are that they don't begin to ripen until removed from the tree. Once picked, they're ready to eat in about a week. Often they are hard as rocks when I buy them because avocados are shipped in coolish containers so that they don't ripen during shipping. They arrive at the stores for final ripening at home by consumers.

During the summer months I suppose yours and mine come from South Africa and from Israel or Spain the rest of the year.

alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That just sounds like the most perfect of dinners. Salmon is probably my favorite fish.

Cottage Smallholder said...

That sounds really good. I love the idea of sprinkling the fish with lemon zest.

We use McCains's less than 5% oven chips too. Far less fat that homemade and pretty good.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Sounds like the perfect easy meal. We also use those chips, infact we had them for lunch yesterday with fried eggs before we had our Moroccan food later.

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

It does sound perfectly simple. Salmon is my wife's favourite fish, and I love it too.

Marona said...

I love this simple, tasty, healthy dinners! Thanks for sharing it!
have you tried to steam the fish with a couple of lime leaves? Heaven!

Joanna said...

I love it that I'm not the only one to use those McCain chips! And, Karin, thanks for the info about avocados. Marona, thanks for the idea - sounds good, and worth a try.

Joanna