JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Thursday, April 30, 2009

Escape to Sussex

















Suddenly needed to get away for a few days. This is the view from my room by the sea. Yesterday it was sunny, but I didn't have my new camera then. (After months of humming and hawing, took the plunge, bought a Nikon D90, fell in love with the first click.)

I went to Alfriston, to visit the Clergy House, the first building ever bought by the National Trust. Wonderful floor, made of tamped chalk hardened by pouring sour milk and leaving for a couple of weeks. Beautiful oak frames, and an oak leaf carved into one - the centuries-old decoration of a yeoman farmer, now used as the logo of the National Trust. The garden is beautiful, the productive parts much the best to my eye.


















Then to Much Ado Books, where the lovely proprietress slipped a teabag into the book I bought, so that I could enjoy reading it with a cup of tea ... I went straight back to the car and got the kettle out of the boot.

9 comments:

olive oyl said...

Oh I miss the Downs, the cliffs, the coast, my old stomping ground. My screensaver is a shot of the Cuckmere as it meanders from Alfriston towards the haven. Do you know the Littlington Tea Rooms close by? Have a lovely break.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Oh Joanna, you've made me feel all nostalgic. I was pregnant with my first child when I visited Alfriston for the first time (celebrating my 30th birthday). We stayed in a beautiful little hotel very near the book shop.

Hope all is okay. xx

Trish said...

Oh how wonderful. I love the 'sea'...only it is the ocean for me and I am afraid it is much more rough looking but I love it never the less. Will there be more pictures? I am hoping for a whole 'tour'.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Joanna
Very interesting, lovely kitchen garden, sounds like you had a nice time. Funny thing, my mother sent a postcard from Alfriston not long ago and she reminded me my aunt took me there for a visit, gosh must be about at least 25 years ago! Enjoy the new camera.
Take care
Bridget

Ellie said...

Looks lovely...glad you had a nice time! Does this mean I can have your old camera then?! ;) E xx

Celia Hart said...

Now I must go to the Clergy House! We've been to Alfriston many times but it's always been closed.

Love the shots with the new camera.

Hope you have a good weekend Joanna :-)
Celia

60 Going On 16 said...

That sounds like the perfect break - and what a wonderful bookshop. There are parts of Sussex that are just magical.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Joanna. Hope you will enjoy your camera.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Joanna. Hope you will enjoy your camera.