JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Tuesday, July 03, 2007

These are a few of my favourite blogs

It's sometimes surprising (to me, anyway) the blogs that get huge readerships, and those that have tiny (niche?) followings. My absolute favourite blog of the moment, Pomiane, has only one bloglines subscriber, and that's me. No idea why, great food, English and Italian ... perhaps it's the lack of pictures, but most of the best cookery books are unillustrated.

Another one I'm really enjoying at the moment is Slow Cook. It's written by an American who's given up a high-powered job in journalism to cook, grow food, and blog. He writes about all that, and also about wider food issues, environmental issues that affect the kitchen - it's a lively read, one I'm always pleased to see bold in my feed reader.

Not all my best blogs are about food - Mostly Macro comes under the heading of food for the soul ... wonderful photos of wildlife - moths, butterflies, birds, flowers, you name it, if it's wild and in his garden or neighbour, Dean photographs it.

Graham Rice, the garden writer, has recently started blogging about his life in England and the US. Transatlantic Plantsman is imbued with a deep knowledge of plants, and always interesting to read. One day I'm going to pluck up courage to ask him why I have such a lack of success with most of my sweet peas!


I thoroughly recommend all of these.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I juat visited MostlyMacro and have added it to my short RSS feed list! Beautiful pictures. How does he know so much about plants? Thanks for the tips!

Pomiane said...

On the 'food for the soul' front, I can't recommend highly enough the current exhibition at The Queen's Gallery - The Renaissance Portraits are spectacular. Quite stunning! On until January, I think, so no need to rush - but definitely unmissable (the Baroque section is much less good, but a good reason to go back and look again at the Renaissance stuff).....

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

I trust your judgement Joanna. I shall check these out. I remember it was your mention of Cottage Smallholder that sent me there. It has become one of my daily reads.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link Joanna & the wonderful write up. Much appreciated.

An interesting blog you have here, but must i admit, i`ve a phobia of trying any foods i`m not used to.

Joanna said...

Never mind, Dean, in the world of food blogging we're all a little obsessed ...

Pomiane, thanks for the tip about the portraits The Queen's Gallery. I haven't been there for years - it was the first gallery I ever went to on my own, paid my own money for the ticket, to see Michaelangelo drawings from the royal collection, fabulous. I'll have to go soon, make myself think it's about to close, otherwise it WILL close unseen by me!

Joanna said...

Amanda thank you for SUCH KIND WORDS .. I hope that some of those links give you the pleasure they give me.

And Sue - SO glad you like the photos at Mostly Macro - I'm especially keen on the moths, that hidden beauty, often so simple and austere. Also the British native orchids, so unlike the gaudy ones you see in the supermarket or a hothouse

Ed Bruske said...

It's our Independence Day over here in Yankee Doodle land so I am not blogging today, but I so appreciate your mentioning The Slow Cook. Here's to all of us being more conscious cooks...

Joanna said...

Well, for the first time in my life, I am celebrating Independence Day - do you think, as I am English, it might be considered a bit rude, rather a "good riddance" sort of gesture? ;) I'm even hoping to find a firework ... have a good day, Ed, and we'll look forward to normal service resuming when the holidays are over.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'll have a look.
It's getting dangerous for me to check new blogs I'm reading so many now.