JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Sunday, September 21, 2008

Late summer hearth bread


















This weekend we've eaten meals in the garden for just about the first time this year. But summer is officially over, so lunch was an amalgam of the seasons: autumnal leek and potato soup, lemony courgette salad with the last of this year's crop, and a simple late summer hearth bread which makes the most of the sweet seedless grapes in the market at the moment.

Late summer hearth bread / focaccia /fougasse

To make this variation, use your normal dough, roll it out flat but not too thin, let it rise, throw on a few grapes, some chopped rosemary, a little salt, then make dimples with your thumb and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in a very hot oven for 10-12 minutes. Eat warm.

The dough I used was mixed in a bread machine, but it could easily have been made by hand if I'd felt like a little kneading. There's no reason why you shouldn't use a bread mix, although, for me, much of the pleasure of making bread comes from choosing the flour - most of the wheat I use is grown and milled locally.


















Related posts


Lemony courgette salad
Essence of courgette
White pizza with fennel seeds
Pizza bianca with rosemary
River Cafe pizza dough
Quick white bread in a machine

3 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Gorgeous salad Joanna.
I was blown away with the grapes on the focaccia the first time I tried it. So good.

Nan said...

I just can't imagine grapes baked with herbs on bread! :<) What you said about your bread machine is just how I feel about using my mixer with the dough hook.

Joanna said...

I know what you mean, Nan, I found it odd when I first came across it. Some recipes are much more elaborate, with fruit buried in the dough. Well worth a try, the sweet/salt taste is great

Tanna - unsurprised to hear that you beat me to it ;) ... did you post about it?

Joanna