JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wholemeal apple & almond cake
















Delicious, with a hint of cinnamon. Eat warm from the oven as pud, or cold for breakfast/elevenses. Much nicer than the appley-cinnamony pastry I had in Selfridge's yesterday. There's a strong taste of almonds, even though they're cut 50:50 with flour (so economical).

It's from Hugh FW's new book, Every Day; he made it with pears on his show last week (you may need to be in the UK for this link to work).

Apple and almond cake

150g butter
125g caster sugar
2 eggs
75g wholemeal self-raising flour
75g ground almonds

for the apples

4-5 eating apples
25g butter
1 heaped tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

20cm springform cake tin
pre-heat the oven to 170C

Peel and core the apples, cut them into wedges and fry gently in the butter and sugar. When they are nearly tender, add the cinnamon and take off the heat.

Beat the butter and sugar together; add the eggs, then the flour, then the almonds. Scrape into the tin, smooth over, arrange the apples on top, spoon over the juices from the frying pan.

Bake for 40-45 minutes (until a skewer comes out clean). Leave for a while before unclipping the tin (although this is probably going to fall apart anyway).

Notes:
* I made it on the spur of the moment to use up some apples that had been sitting around for a few days; there were six, not quite too many.
* I had only 140g butter in total; the apples were fine in 10g, and the cake was fine with 130g. So no need for the full 175g.
* My cake is a little stodgy ("but good stodgy", said Amy) because I used plain wholemeal and forget to put in baking powder.
* The apples sit nicely on top of this cake, but when HFW made it with pears, they sank down almost to the bottom.


Related posts

Apple tart - Alfred once ate half of this at one go
Hugh FW's wonderful ginger cake
Easy almond ring cake - another pudding-y cake, better served with a little fruit

4 comments:

emilyobyrne said...

I saw that cake, and it looked very similar to the English Apple Cake in Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries. I make that with Wholemeal Flour, and I like the addition of crumbs and sugar he uses for a crunchy top. If I want to go for pears (because that is what I have to use up!) then I just add Almond essence to the cake mix. Even more economical! We like it for breakfast, warmed up in the microwave with plain yoghurt on the side.

Olive Oyl said...

Just devoured the first wedge, still a bit too warm from the oven which made for some ugly table manners. Thanks for another lovely recipe Joanna you're my real go to at the moment! I don't know if you read "smittenkitchen.com" but she also has a good recipe for "mom's apple cake", I just slash the sugar in half. Only another 58kgs of windfall to go.........

Kate said...

This sounds like a really delicious recipe and just perfect for the season. I have a couple of baskets filled with apple and I will definitely give this a recipe a try. Thanks!

Katya Robin said...

I made this recipe with Doves Gluten free SR flour and it was every so light, and apples stayed on top.

going to cook it again using friend's Fiesta apples

great to get kids cooking.

I'm planning to buy the Hugh FW Everyday book as so many recipes I want to try and our teen son has been cooking from library copy: he's done scotch pancakes, carbonara with tupperware 'chorizo', and porridge.