JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Sunday, October 04, 2009

St John caraway seed cake

















I wish I could blog the eggy buttery smell in my kitchen since I took this cake out of the oven. Here's the recipe, so you can make it yourself - one to have and one to share. It's Fergus Henderson; this version once appeared in the Telegraph cookery section, and is not quite the same as the seed cake in Beyond Nose to Tail.

St John caraway seed cake

250g butter
250g caster sugar
5 eggs
350g self-raising flour
2 tsp caraway seeds
120-150ml milk

Preheat the oven to 170C. Line two loaf tins with paper (I use ready-made liners, which saves a lot of Blue Peter project work).

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Sift in the flour, add the caraway seeds and stir until everything is well mixed and the seeds evenly distributed. Then add milk. In this recipe, FH says add "a splash", but this doesn't make the required pouring consistency for the batter. The recipe in Beyond Nose to Tail Eating has similar proportions and calls for 150ml of milk - more than a splash. You'll have to feel your way. I put in three splashes, probably about 90ml, which was not enough for a dropping consistency, although the finished cake is fine.

Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.

3 comments:

Celia Hart said...

Oh Yum! (but Cliff would hate it so much) oh dear, better save that recipe for another day.

Enjoy it Joanna :-)

Celia

Eleanor said...

It was absolutely delicious! (And I dont like cake at all)

Well done the cook!

E xx

Anonymous said...

I've just given this a go, and what a fantastically simple but tasty cake. I don't think I'll bother making bog-standard madeira cake again - I much prefer this.

Love those loaf tin liners too - must get some of those!