JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The view from where I'm sitting
























... a cup of lapsang souchong is on the way.

It takes a while to boil the kettle on the stove, so you have to start before you get thirsty. In the mean time, I'm tidying - and now that I've seen the picture, I'd better get cleaning, too - does anyone have any tricks for refreshing brick that don't involve paint?

I'm rather fond of this simple fireplace, it's in what was once the housekeeper's sitting room, built in 1918, when housekeepers were already rather thin on the ground. I do such housekeeping as goes on here (not much, not enough), so this now my study. We (or rather Lucius) installed the stove in November (also the lovely Delabole slate), and the room is now warm for the first time any of us can remember.

6 comments:

Jules said...

Beautiful stove. I have a similar view at the moment!

Celia Hart said...

That looks so cosy! You could warm muffins on there ;-)

I've been tidying my office - it's that sort of day!

Hey - Snap! I've spotted a Kaffe Fassett needlepoint of a cauliflower in you header photo. We have one on the sofa.

Happy New Year!
Celia

Nic said...

Lovely and toasty warm!
Happy New Year to you and your family Joanna!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Wonderful fire place! I'd love to have tea there with you!!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

We had a stove fitted in the Autumn, so much warmer than the open fireplace. We have slate tiles that were there with the open fire and the stove installer gave them a wipe over with some oil, he said vegetable oil would work just as well. It does seem to work but I've only done it the once - I like dust!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Sorry, you said brick not the tiles - my Nana used to get a clean shoe brush (free of shoe polish) and wet it. She then used to scrub the brick.