JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Sunday, January 04, 2009

A cold day - let's read some recipe books while the going's good



















There's a deep frost here - the Mahonia has given up scenting the garden, which those yellow flower buds normally do pretty effectively in the weak winter sunshine. I'm planning to stay indoors as much as possible, and read Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking, a very ace Christmas present. And perhaps do a little more cooking from Fergus Henderson's Nose to Tail. And trying not to get the cough which has been plaguing this house for a week or more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's freezing isn't it? I've got so many new cookbooks I can't decide what to make or read. Am planning on spending today with Deborah Madison's Greens cookbook and the Riverford Farm veg box book.

A Green and Rosie Life said...

We woke up to minus 8 and a lot of ice to break through befre the sheep could have a drink!

But after a lovely walk the chicken is in the oven and I might just settle down with some seed catalogues whilst it cooks ;-)

Rosie x

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That's a great read Joanna!
Hope the cough is gone soon, I think my sinus is finally going to have a recovery this week.
Cold there! We had 80°F yesterday and 36° today ;)

David Hall said...

Happy New Year Joanna!

I don;t think you can go wrong with Fergus Henderson cold or hot, I love the guy. Hope 2009 is good to you.

All the best
David

Anne said...

Hope your cough clears up soon, mine has been driving me nuts but I finally didn't wake up coughing this morning, so hopefully on the mend! I found hot malt drink with a little honey helped soothe x