JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Caramel-salt nuts










These are SO good ...

Put 275g of nuts, 200g sugar and 75ml water into a wide pan, apply heat until you've got sticky nuts (turn the heat down towards the end). Sprinkle salt on them when they're ready but before you've turned them out onto a lightly oiled baking sheet to cool.

This recipe comes from David Lebovitz, who gives more detailed instructions in case you're nervous of caramelising sugar. He suggests using smooth nuts such as almonds or peanuts. So I used hazelnuts, as they were all I had. And David's also got lots of suggestions for ways of using these nuts - other than just eating them as they are.

Thanks, David, I needed something quick to make for my friend DD who is giving us dinner this evening.

4 comments:

Naomi Devlin said...

Salt and caramel - hold me back!

x x x

Anonymous said...

Oh, such temptation! I have some 'fleurs de sel' that would be perfect for this...

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

So good, and so very wicked! (And good in/with ice cream, I should think...)

Riana Lagarde said...

looks fabulous and would make nice little gifts too. i have a ton of hazelnuts that i better use up! thanks for the idea.