JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yoghurt and lemon cake



















I don't keep butter in the house when the young are away, which made it tricky this afternoon when I took it into my head to cheer myself up by making a lemon cake. But then I remembered Turkish yoghurt cake, and found a good recipe in Claudia Roden's Arabesque. It's a soufflé of a cake, no butter, not much flour, eggs, yoghurt and a lemon. Just the thing.

Turkish yoghurt cake - yogurtlu tatlisi

4 large eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
3 tbsp plain flour
400g Greek strained yoghurt
grated zest of a lemon
juice of a lemon

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until it is pale. Beat in the flour, then blend in the yoghurt, zest and juice. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold into the cake mixture. Pour this into a non-stick baking tin - I use a 23cm clip-ring tin which I grease with olive oil.

Bake at 180C for 50-60 minutes, until the top is brown. Eat warm or cold.


PS you can serve this with a syrup made with 150ml water, 25og sugar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and the finely grated zest of an orange ... Claudia Roden says she doesn't bother, and neither do I.

PPS picture to follow - I meant to save this as a draft until the cake came out of the oven, but hit publish instead ... I've been a little distracted for the past couple of weeks, which is why I need cake!

5 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hope the cake worked in making things feel better Joanna, it certainly sounds good.

Trish said...

Oh I hope all is alright Joanna. Nothing like a little cake to get one going though. I too made lemon cake this week which I had posted a long time ago. Yours looks delish...yes, I can tell by the ingredients and without a photo. Such a simple recipe and looks almost identical to the one a good friend gave me here.... http://themadchemist-trish.blogspot.com/2008/07/lemonyougurt-pound-cake.html The only thing I am wondering....just how much flour? Either I am still muddled from this ear infection and can't see it...perhaps you have it there and I just can't see.

Joanna said...

Thanks for kind words, Amanda

And Trish THANK YOU for pointing out that I'd forgotten to put in the flour - three tablespoons of plain, I'm just going to add it in, and then I'm going to follow your link ... and thanks, all is better now, three bad things together, often the way

xJoanna

Peter said...

What a wonderful blog Joanna. Truly inspirational. So good to see so many people caring about what they eat.
Great recipe, I love the Turkish cuisine.
I've only just started blogging myself, so feel free to have a look at; http://peter-thefoodoflife.blogspot.com/ I'd welcome any advice!

Sam said...

Interesting recipe, it certainly looks tasty and simple to make too.

I took your advice and bought some of Willie's cacao, it's fantastic!