JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Sunday, June 03, 2007

Kohlrabi ...























Our weekly veg box from Riverford is a lovely, life-enhancing way to shop ... each week, you get a selection of what's in season in the UK, plus a few oddments from further afield (none of which has jet lag). The selection changes slowly as the weeks roll by, which makes it hard for the cook to get bored of cooking the same old stuff. Everything really does taste better - carrots, in particular, have never tasted carrotier, and people often ask me for the recipe when all I've done is boiled them and served them plain. Another advantage is that there's always something to eat in the house, however long it is since I've visited a shop.

I've only had two veg box problems: the wet garlic that looked just like spring onions (truly disgusting raw in a salad) - and this week: what ON EARTH am I going to do with the kohlrabi? As you can see from the photo, I've been putting it off all week, and it's no longer in the first flush of youth ... but I'll have to cook it tomorrow, because the next box comes on Tuesday.

Any suggestions gratefully received!


PS this is another post for Heart of the Matter 4, the blog for hsaring heart-healthy recipes and ideas - this month's theme is vegetables, entries by 22nd June, email them to me at joannacary AT ukonline DOT co DOT uk with the permalink ..

12 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Kohlirabi is one I've not tried. Good luck!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Try Kohliabi and Cumin Soup or Kohlrabi Gratin .
Hope those are a help!

Shauna said...

I had the same problem last year and really enjoyed this slaw with some grilled fish :) Very healthy and loooovely!

Joanna said...

Thanks Holler for the links .. I had thought that this might be the moment to try to use stabilised yoghurt in a gratin, as we don't do cream ... that might be the answer.

Shauna, thanks for the slaw, I LOVE them, especially without mayo.

Maybe I'll have to do that tv chef thing of doing two different dishes with one ingredient. I'm not going to complain that there's not enough kohlrabi in my box!

Joanna

Cottage Smallholder said...

The RHS site has some good information about Kohlrabi here http://www.rhs.org.uk/whatson/gardens/harlowcarr/harlowcarrkitchennote8.asp

Anonymous said...

Our neighbours planted loads of it last year, then discovered they didn't like it and passed it over the fence to use. We sliced it in half-inch slices, prepped it with olive oil, salt and pepper and put it on the grill. Served with a splash of balsamic vinegar, it was good.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

We had Riverford before we moved. I had the same problem 2 years ago when it turned up. I hadn't a clue. My favourite way to have it, thinly sliced, stir fried with strips of chicken & teriyaki sauce.
We also had it with bacon and mashed potato but not sure you still do bacon. Amanda

Freya said...

I wish I could help! I almost never see Kohlrabi in our local farm shop so have never had the opportunity to cook it! Please keep us posted on what you make though!

Ashleigh said...

The Dutch use it like turnips in soup or sliced in a cream/cheese sauce. They also eat it raw, sliced very thinly. I find the taste a little odd, so I try and use it cooked and mashed with potato.

Do be honest, my heart used to sink when we got kohlrabi in the veg box!

Anonymous said...

Here is what I usually do with mine: I peel it, cut it, and cook it in a frying pan with beef (the kind you would use for a stir fry). Add oyster sauce and a bit of butter at the end, stir nooddles in and you have a lovely asian inspired meal.

thepassionatecook said...

oh kohlrabi is one of my favourite vegetables... and sooo hard to find here! i love it simply grated with lemon juice and sour cream - a delicious summer salad!

Jeanne said...

I second the suggestion of kohlrabi mash - I've eaten and loved that, but it does help if you like the mild mustardy taste of the brassica family... as I do!