JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Quick plum tart

















Last night was the last time until Christmas that all six of us will sit down together to eat. So I made a quick pudding - I went into the garden in the gloaming, picked a few sticky-sweet Victoria plums, halved and stoned them and put them on a sheet of puff pastry which I'd brushed with jam made from last year's crop. 15 minutes in a hot oven. Mmm ... except for one thing: those fabulously sweet plums turned sour in the oven. Any ideas why this should be?

3 comments:

Joan said...

The same thing happened when I made a plum tart a couple of weeks ago. The plums were so sweet that I only added a smidgen of sugar. I couldn't believe how sour the tart was when we ate it later. How can that be? I hope someone knows the answer.

Sonya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sonya said...

TYPO TIP TO SELF: TO AVOID INTERNATIONAL EMBARRASSMENT, ALWAYS CHECK SPELLING BEFORE PUBLISHING COMMENTS [INSERT UNCOMFORTABLE SMILE HERE] - TEE,HEE

I have no answer for you, Jo - this one stumps me too. My family's weekend favourite - 'Sunday slab' (http://sagoontuesdays.blogspot.com/2009/09/sunday-muffin-slab.html) works with many fruits, but twice I have tried it with plums, with now predictable results. Not nice.
Do post the answer if you find any bright sciency sparks out there who can solve the mystery for us all.

~Sonya (sago)