JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Friday, December 05, 2008

A winter celery salad


















I've posted at least a couple of Waldorf-ish salads over the years, and here's another one. I love celery.

Apples, chopped; celery; a few sunflower seeds; a splash of red wine vinegar; a slightly bigger splash of olive oil; coarsely ground black pepper. Mix in the serving bowl.

Two ingredients worth mentioning here: the apples were russets, something you never used to see in a supermarket, and with much thinner skins than when I was a child. And - star of the show - Fenland winter celery, bang in the middle of its short season in England right now ... really delicious & worth the premium: it's lovely and pale, it's not stringy, it's got a nutty taste, and I'm confident that it will convert my celery-hating husband. (You have to wash it carefully, as the whiteness is achieved the traditional way, by banking up the plants with earth, to stop the light getting in.)

Related posts

Sort of Waldorf salad
A lighter Waldorf salad
Caponatina - a sweet/sour salad with celery and other vegetables

2 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

My made a salad like this all the time I was growing up and I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Mm, just my thing, such salads. Need to dwell longer over your Waldorf variations during the holidays.