JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Anchovy dressing for broccoli

Last week the recipe that came with my veg box was for a broccoli salad dressed in anchovy sauce. I liked the idea of it, but never got round to making it. In fact, I never actually read the instructions, just thought that an anchovy sauce would be good with broccoli. So last night, when I was cooking this week's veg box broccoli, I dug out the recipe. I don't know about you, but I don't like cold broccoli. So that was the end of that.

Instead, I dressed the hot broccoli in a sauce I whizzed up from six anchovies (I keep a jar of them in the fridge), one tablespoon of red wine vinegar, and two tablespoons of 0% fat fromage frais. Good strong flavour. One to remember. And a definite improvement on cold broccoli salad.

It also happened that we finished up some carrots from the weekend, sliced and cooked in freshly squeezed orange juice. On Sunday, I didn't reduce the juice, and they were okay. Last night I reduced the juice down to a sticky nothing, and they were fabulous. Also unexpectedly good beside the broccoli.

No comments: