JOANNA'S FOOD: family cooking, from scratch, every day


Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A gibbous moon


















I'm not sure what a gibbous moon actually is, but my Google phases of the moon widget tells me that this moon is gibbous. Until a few moments ago, I thought that any full red moon was a harvest moon, but Wikipaedia tells me that a harvest moon occurs only in September.

Whatever, it's utterly beautiful, the wonderful red colour I associate with lunar eclipse .. it stopped me dead in my tracks last night as I was about to go to bed. I just wish I was a better photographer.

2 comments:

Celia Hart said...

That's beautiful Joanna.
Waning Gibbous, Waxing Gibbous - bigger than a half moon smaller than a full moon, waning - getting smaller day by day, waxing - getting bigger day by day.

The times I've had to supply a diagram of that!!!

Celia

Joanna said...

Thanks Celia - no problem with waxing and waning, but gibbous - well, :) now I know ...

(I don't think a diagram - even one as lovely as yours would doubtless be - would help, because my brain doesn't seem to do the 3D aspect of astronomy - I think I've got it, and 10 minutes later it's all gone)

Joanna